Monday, June 29, 2009

But Wait! There's More!

Yesterday Billy Mays died. He was an old fashioned "pitchman" who was very skilled in his art. I can't count the number of commercials or infomercials I've seen with him.

When I learned of his death, all I could think of was this:

David Caradine (of Kung Fu fame) died. But we're not through yet
Ed McMahon died. Hold on! We're just getting getting started
Farrah Fawcett and Michael Jackson died.
But wait, there's more!

I know. It is "gallow's humor" but I would like to think that Billy Mays had enough of a sense of humor about himself and his profession to laugh at this.

Is the world really diminished by the loss of yet another pitch man? I believe it is because the world is always diminished by the death of any human being. I don't know the state of the souls of any of these persons above. But that is not my job. I can entrust them to God's mercy and care.

While Billy Mays always promised us "more," his products often did not deliver on their implied promises. But God's promise is that there will always be more! God promises us abundant life and never ending grace and growth in the new live we receive through the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ! Why do we spend our time wanting "more" and "easier, faster, cheaper?" We should focus on the only source of "more" in all creation - God. Do you want more? Seek God; for with God there is always more.

YBIC,
Phil Snyder

1 comment:

Dale Matson said...

Phil,
Billy Mays, God rest his soul was a bit of a "yeller" as a pitchman. I like newer blood like Vince Shlomi the Shamwow guy. He has had a run in with police but all in all, I find him as smooth as a used car salesman and as credible as a politician. Where can I get one of those wireless microphones he wears for my homilies.